Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ouch

I believe I mentioned that my back was killing me after cleaning the filter cartridges. Well, it's only now starting to ease. I took Monday off work 'cos I was in so much pain. I even passed up an invitation to a crawfish boil on Saturday afternoon. Anyone who knows how much I love those spicy little critters will realise just how desperate things must have been. I've chewed down half a bottle of Tylenol and gone through a box of those icy hot back patch bandage things since Friday night. On Tuesday morning it still took me about 20 minutes to get my socks on, this morning, I managed it in about 5. I don't have much more flexibility so it was mostly down to improved technique. I'm also convinced my entire body has tilted left a bit. I'd take pictures to prove this, but the Geneva convention forbids me from posting nude or semi-nude pictures of myself on the Internet.

From now on, cleaning the filter is a two man (or one man, one woman) job.

My inability to bend over has given the weeds in the garden a chance to make a brief comeback. If I'm feeling better by the weekend, they're getting it with every type of chemical I can find. I'm not taking prisoners anymore. Organic, Shmorganic. Last week's storms washed most of the mulch into small piles in various corners of the flowerbeds. The liner covering the herb garden is still doing its' job though and there is not a weed to be seen. I reckon that might be the way forward for everywhere else, but that might be a job for next spring.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Ian! Be careful!

Ian said...

I'm being careful, now. I have made a decision to postpone the desperately needed clipping of my toe nails until such a time as I can reach my toes. You don't get more careful than that.

Jen said...

I'm just sayin'

My brother lifted a 30-pound box. He damaged his back. He's been out of working at the fire dept. for over 10 months. They are now looking to force him into early retirement, b/c he can't do anything without his back causing massive pain.

Your whole life can change with one WRONG lift of a box or filter in your case.

Ian said...

Information that might have been useful on Friday morning!

Jen said...

That's why I said - BE CAREFUL!

And had you told me you were doing such things this past Friday, then I would've gone into "I'm your Mother mode" and told you all about the ways of lifting correctly.

Jen said...

P.S. I know you were hurting if YOU passed up the mud-bugs! Holy cow!

Ian said...

I was being careful, but it's hard to life with your knees when you're lifting things out of an inverted dome, because there's no room to bend your knees.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.

This sounds suspiciously like the back pain I get from time to time, when it just goes it hurts like hell, pain that will take your breath away.

It's funny to think that a simple act like putting your socks on can be so painful but I've had Fi offering to put my socks on before which is pretty embarassing.

Rest is the thing, and a good mattress. I also found running on treadmill helped (oddly). I think it's something to do with that weird straight back run you do on a treadmill.

Also, blame your mother, it's her genes!

m said...

You need to go to a chiropractor! I am a firm believer in them. I'd recommend mine, but I doubt you're up for a trip to the Twin Cities. Seriously. It will change your life.

Ian said...

I will go to a chiropractor if it still hurts after I lie down all weekend. And if it ever comes back I'm going straight there. I just didn't have time this week. I'm not running on any treadmill any time soon, that's for sure. I woke up early this morning and sat in the hot tub for half an hour before work. That helped a lot, so I may be a wrinkled prune by Monday morning.