Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Herbal

Nikki and I, with much help from Malc and Sandy, did a lot of work in the garden last weekend. Nikki now has her herb garden:
The big plant at the back is Rosemary that was already in the garden, to the right at the back is mint, hopefully contained in its own pot buried under the soil. I don't know what any of the others are except the basil, second from the left at the front.

The impressively large Rosemary, not showing too much transplant shock we hope. We dug it up whilst turning the soil over and replanted it not too far from its original position.
This poor little Basil had a tough time. First of all he's notoriously fickle about where he chooses to grow, then he got trod on by a size 10 flip-flop, then he got totally covered in mud and lost until we dug him out. Don't think he's going to make it.

Also being planted were some tomatoes. The hose pipe behind is porous, throughout the herb garden it's under a liner and the mulch, but it's lying on top of the soil round the veggies for now. It may get buried under a little soil later, we need to see how good a job it does on the surface first.

This is a Cayenne Pepper plant, there's also a yellow Bell Pepper plant in the garden. We've heard that planting veggies in the spring is a waste of time in Houston and that the autumn will yield bigger and better crops, but it's not like we're going to starve if the tomato plant fails, so we'll see what happens. Check back for regular updates.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Ya'll are soooo way ahead of me! I have an herb garden just waiting for me to get my hands dirty and I hadn't even thought about it. Until now.

Planting shrubs (I'm up to 49 now), planting flowers and herbs. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Ian said...

I'll tell you how far ahead we are. Nikki told me today that she used some of the parsley in the chicken we had on Saturday.

Lizzie Stephenson said...

nikki sends to plant a noodle garden, the she'd be totally self-sufficient ;-)

Ian said...

Mmmm, maybe I need to plant some mozzarella trees and a pizza dough bush too.

Lizzie Stephenson said...

hey just re-read my post and i couldn't type for shit that day! sorry about that old chap.

also... really ought to get back into doing my own blog instead of hanging out on yours! ;-)

Ian said...

Don't worry, I am totally capable of translating nonsense into English.

Ian said...

And yes. Get blogging again!