Saturday, March 31, 2007

Children of Men

If you haven't seen Children of Men and you don't want to know anything about the plot you should look away now...although I don't think I've given anything away that you don't know from the trailer.


My brother claimed, on this very blog, that it was utter rubbish with the strangest ending ever. I, as usually happens when one of us takes an opinion on anything, disagree with him. I mean, it wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be, it could have certainly done with more explosions and a couple of ninja kung fu fights but it was a pretty good film. It's no Rocky Balboa, but it's pretty good. Oh and the ending wasn't strange at all, I mean, clearly they owe us a few answers like 'is this the only pregnancy since everyone became sterile 20 years ago?' 'cos you know, if it is, then what's the point? One baby's not going to save mankind. But all that aside, it's set in a wonderfully bleak future, every sequence seems to be a single camera shot that lasts about 15 minutes, the action sequences that are in there are pretty unique (the gang attacking the car for example) and Michael Caine is worth the price of admission on his own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you well know, I am a huge fan of Michael Caine, the man can do no wrong when it comes to films, and actually his part in CoM was well played and suited him for his age now.

I have a bit of a problem with Clive Owen, I have a feeling that he's not that clever (sorry Clive if you're reading this) and he's a bit of a wooden actor as a result, or possibly becasue of....

I didn't like the long takes (15 mins+ is too long in my opinion), which I admit is a personal opinion and bears no relation to the actual film or plot.

The whole premise of the film is believable (and quite possible) and initially well shot but seems to lose its way and degenerate into silliness. The ending is nonsensical and I won't be detracted from this view. Watch it and let us know.

Ian said...

Indeed, watch it and let us know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. In this case Alex's opinion is wrong and mine is right, so please, if you've seen the film, feel free to let us know if your opinion is correct or stupidly misinformed.