Monday, March 12, 2007

Brazilian Arts

Saturday night a friend and I went to the Brazilian Arts Foundation for an evening of, well, Brazilian Arts. There was Samba, loud drumming, free booze and a Capoeira demonstration:


Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art that involves a little bit of dance and a little bit of acrobatics but from what I could see, though these blokes were aiming to miss each other, if they really wanted to do any damage to you, they could.

Anyway, the most interesting thing about the night was the discovery that I am the ultimate wingman. On two occasions Saturday night the guy I was with needed assistance, once to distract the bored friend of a girl he was chatting up so that she didn't start sending the secret 'let's go' signals and another time when he couldn't remember the name of a girl he was dancing with who we had both been introduced to earlier. No trouble for me, I couldn't remember her name either, but since I had no agenda, I had no problem saying "I'm sorry, I forgot your name, what was it again?" and then relaying the information.

So there it is single blokes - now you know. Some people say you need another single bloke as a wingman, but let's face it, he's looking out for himself and is direct competition, plus you have to return the favour. I've heard another theory that you need a gay bloke as your wingman, and that may get round the competition problem, but you still have to spend time being his wingman too. Nope, there's no-one better for the wingman job than a married bloke and all it costs you is a few beers.

7 comments:

Jen said...

How do you know about the "let's get the hell out of here" secret-girl signal?

I can't yet find a flaw in your Ultimate Wingman Theory either. So, you might just be on to something here.

Hmmmmmm

Jen said...

. . . and your Capoeira link is not working. . .

Ian said...

Thanks. It worked this morning, but obviously the huge amount of traffic generated by a link from my blog is more than their webserver can handle as it is now clearly busted. New link up now.

Ian said...

I'm definitely on to something with the UWT. I hate to take this away from gay men, who were previously thought of as the ultimate wingman. Us straight guys already have the whole legal marriage, spousal health insurance and tax breaks thing, so I feel bad about taking it, but it's too obvious now that it's out there.

Jen said...

Yes. I have to agree the UWT is definitely up there in rank with tax breaks, health insurance, & legal marriage. It IS sad that you do have to take this one away from the gay men too.

So you should be getting rich with all the traffic on your site, especially since they've all had the chance to look at the chickens - all the time! You better make sure your ad links are a working too. Just in case.

Ian said...

My ad links are fine thanks. I don't have much control over them though, which is why they keep offering comedy central videos and things. If Google was as smart as they claim to be they would be serving up chicken based adverts.

m said...

I've had the married wing man turn into Creepy Guy Looking for Affair though. That's the anti-UWM!! It turns me right off from the single friend who was hitting on me because I think "you're friends with a guy who would cheat on his wife? No way, dude."