Thursday, April 12, 2007

Regrets, I've Had A Few...

So I have a reservation on a flight leaving for Singapore in 1 minute. I booked it a couple of months ago and last month we had to push my trip back by two weeks, but, having bought the cheapest, most non-refundable, non-transferable ticket I couldn't change my flight and had to buy another one. The airline did say that once I had taken the outbound leg I could probably change the return leg.

For the last 3 days I've been getting lots of reminders about the flight I'm not taking and I've been more and more tempted to go for one night, then try to change my return to Sunday. I have Friday off, so I wouldn't have had to use any vacation. Leaving Houston at 6:55pm on a Thursday gets you into Singapore at lunchtime on Saturday. Leaving Singapore at 5pm on Sunday gets you back to Houston at 6am on Monday.

This is not unprecedented. I did, not so long ago, fly Lagos to London to Houston, spend one night with Nikki and then fly back to London. I didn't even have time to adjust time zones and it was great and stupid all at the same time. This trip is a bit longer, I don't have a confirmed return flight and I really don't have any vacation days to spare should I not get back Monday.

It would totally have been worth it. Should have gone.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Awww. . . man. That's a complete bummer. Round the world in 3 days! Would have definitely been interesting. When exactly are you now going to Singapore since you skipped this weekend?

And, when is Nikki coming back to the USofA? We haven't heard from her ---- my guess is that the genius is busy developing, yet again, another mechanical spring-thingy. (My apologies to butchering the name of her mechanical engineering accomplishment.) Where she'll get another patent to her name!

Ian said...

2 weeks today. Same flight, same time, different return date. Nikki is coming back with me. Even if I have to hit her on the head with a patented spring-thingy and fold her up in my suitcase.